What Do You Want From Me?

                Relationships are tricky, to say the least.  Navigating moods, rough patches, and the general ups and downs of life (and that’s just with your children) can leave you frazzled.  But what about the other relationships in your life:  the spousal, co-worker, friends, and family?  Attempting to get along in these situations can leave a person wondering, “What do they want from me?”
Too often, we make relationships in our lives more complicated than they need to be.  We tend to “think for the other person.”  Assuming we know what they want from us and feeling frustrated, because we can’t always muster the resources to give it.
We assume the spouse would be happier if we lost weight, so we join the gym and the weight loss group.  We think the children would be happier with more “things” so we work overtime five days a week.  
As for the co-workers, neighbors and friends, we often assume they need our “two-cents,” so we freely give it, telling them step by step how to maneuver their struggles (yet we cannot seem to maneuver our own,) and feeling exhausted and frustrated when we find they didn’t heed our well thought out advice.
And what about God; what does He want from me?  Make no mistake, God does want me to be obedient, to walk in His ways, and to witness to others about Him.
Yet, above all those things, what God wants more than anything, is my heart.  And with my heart comes my time and attention. The bible tells us, that God doesn’t look down from heaven to see if we are living righteously or not, “The Lord looks down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there are any who understand, who seek God” Psalm 14:2.  The Lord watches and waits for us to seek Him. 
Interestingly, when I compare what God wants with all the other relationships in my life, I find what they all really crave is the same; my heart.  And with my heart, comes my time and attention.
Fifteen minutes playing football with my son goes a lot further than a new pair of Nike socks.  Fifteen minutes playing Barbie’s with my five-year old, means more than a new Barbie.  Fifteen minutes listening to my 12-year old talk about horses means more than a new riding helmet.  (Well, I may be pushing it, on that last one.)
However, one thing’s for sure, “You will show me the path of life; in your presence if fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore.”  Psalm 16:11
Today, experience the fullness of joy and pleasures forevermore simply by spending time with God and those you love!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Eight- Proverbs 3:6

Right Behind God

Malachi 3:6 Do you have "issues?"