Tackle Your Faith

                We took the plunge into tackle football with our ten-year old son this year.  And for anyone who’s traveled down this path (or any other competitive sport) you know the commitment is serious.  Practice three times a week and two games on the weekend.  Not to mention all the time invested in fundraising.
                Needless to say, if I wasn’t familiar with football before, I am now.  Terminology, plays, equipment; I’ve learned it all in just eight short weeks.
               I now watch college and professional football games with a whole new appreciation.  I understand the calls, well most of them.  I see the fouls, well some of them.  Yet, I cheer and “boo” with a new perception that makes the game so much more enjoyable.
                And thank goodness, because I live with two males who can find a game to watch almost every night of the week.
                This knew knowledge has caused me to wonder though; what would life look like if I invested as much time in my relationship with Christ as I have football recently?
                How would my life change if I “practiced” my walk three nights a week, reading the “plays” (promises) found in the bible and put them into action on the “field” of life?
                What would my coming week look like if on Sundays, I put all that I’ve learned throughout the week into action and spent the day “playing” (in fellowship) with God and those I love?
                Well if the answer is anything like football; it would mean that I would have a whole new appreciation for God and his plans for my life.  It would mean that I would “tackle” my problems with a new “play” (approach.)  It would mean that I would have a whole new outlook on life.
                To understand God’s ways, promises, and plans for my life I must invest in him.  So many times we excuse ourselves from investing in our relationship with Christ because we are too busy.  We are too busy, with work and the extracurricular activities in life.   Yet, we long to understand God’s plan for us.
                Knowing the dangers of football, I would never send my son onto the field without the proper equipment, knowledge and coaching.
                Knowing the dangers in life, we should not place ourselves (or our children) on the battlefield of life without the proper equipment knowledge, and coaching either.
                Your equipment is found in the word of God, “Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand the wiles of the devil.”  Ephesians 6:11
                Your knowledge is found in God, “For the Lord is the God of knowledge.”  1 Samuel 2:3
                Your coaching is found in Christ, “Blessed is the man whom you instruct, O Lord, and teach out of your law, that you may give him rest from the days of adversity.”  Psalms 94: 12-13               
                I pray you find time to “practice” your walk with Christ this week and be blessed with a BIG WIN!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Eight- Proverbs 3:6

Right Behind God

Malachi 3:6 Do you have "issues?"